Page uses the form Site
Aerial view of Arpachiyah
|Site Period||Halaf, Ubaid|
|Coords||36° 22' 38", 43° 12' 40"|
Tell Arpachiyah is a small site in Northern Iraq near the city of Mosul. It was first surveyed by Reginald Thompson in 1928, and excavated by Max Mallowan and John Cruikshank Rose in 1933 (Mallown and Rose, 1935). Limited additional work was carried out by Ismail Hijara in 1976 (Hijara, 1978).
It is one of the few major Halaf sites and was for a long time one of the only stratified sequences available (Campbell, 2000; 1) for the Halaf. Its significance comes despite the fact the site is tiny, only 0.0125 ha and poorly excavated with up to 180 workers to 2 supervisors with half these workers having no prior archaeological experience (Campbell, 2000; 2, Mallowan and Rose, 1935; 8).
Despite this however Arpachiyah is one of the most important sites for the study of the Halaf glyptic with 127 seals and amulets and almost 50 sealings. The seals from Arpachiyah are one of the largest collections within Aktanak and are mostly held at the British Museum or the Iraq museum, the British Museum seals I have examined, but information on the seals from the Iraq museum has had to be derived from secondary sources. Further examples are also found at the Institute of Arcaeology, UCL. At present Aktanak contains only objects from the British Museum, others will be added in due course.
The majority of the data on the artefacts can be found in the categories section at the bottom of the page, specific generated information can be found immediately below.
Coordinates are approximate
Please follow the link below to query the data on artefacts from Arpachiyah.
- Von Wickede (1991) (Publication of all the Arpachiyah sealings, not just the Institute of Archaeology. Including a number von Wickede discovered himself in the Institute. Not available online.)
- Mallowan and Rose (1935) (The excavation report of Tell Arpachiyah. Avaliable institutionally at http://www.jstor.org/stable/4241576?seq=2 (31st May 2010))
- Hijara (1978) (Results of a second excavation at Arpachiyah. Available institutionally at http://www.jstor.org/stable/124222 (31st May 2010))
- Davidson and McKerrell (1980) (Analysis showing there appear to have been trade links between Tepe Gawra and Tell Arpachiyah. Interesting paper, though see the critique by Galbraith and Road (2001). Available institutionally at: http://www.jstor.org/stable/4200126)
- Campbell (2000) (Reassessment of the burnt house of level TT6 at Arpachiyah. Available institutionally at http://www.jstor.org/stable/1357725 (31st March 2010))
This category has the following 8 subcategories, out of 8 total.
|CRM Entity||Tell Arpachiyah +|
|Period||Halaf + and Ubaid +|
|SiteCoords||36° 22' 38", 43° 12' 40"Latitude: 36.3775|
Longitude: 43.211305555556 +
|SiteSize||1.25e-4 km² (4.82625e-5 sqmi, 125 sqm, 0.0309 acres, 0.0125 ha, 125 m²) +|
|SiteType||Tell Site +|
|Page has default form|
This property is a special property in this wiki.